Friday, May 31, 2013

Omlet anyone?


IVF: Week 3


Hey! There’s still a person in here!

      With all the shots, the judicious schedule, the trips across town to the doctor every day for the blood draws and the oh-so-fun ultrasounds, the bruises on my arms, gut, and butt, I’ve begun to feel like some sort of egg producing robot!

      Every time I move I’m reminded of my love hate relationship with this process. I love the opportunity to go through this, but I look and feel like I got into a very odd fight. The creases in my arms are bruised from all the blood draws, my gut burns and looks like a pin cushion, my ovaries are so full I could make an omelet, and my small-green-clover tattoo on my rumpus, is now speckled with purple and yellow bruises. But, there is a silver lining. . .

      There are two types of Invetro; long cycle and short cycle. I was scheduled to do the long cycle IVF. This just means I would take more meds and for a longer period of time. God has again shown me favor! My body has responded so well to the hormones that my eggs are ready to be harvested much earlier than originally anticipated. This means I get to stop all the shots, stop all the blood draws, stop all the ultrasounds, and get this party started! Well, sort of. . .

      I really just get to take a break from needles and ultrasounds, but even when I start back up it will only be 1 daily shot and some blood and ultrasounds. Today is my first day without any shots. My butt feels like it has a golf ball stuck in it from the HUGE shot I had to do last night, but at least I get a break.

      In case you’re unfamiliar with how the female reproductive system works, the ovaries typically trade off, producing one egg per cycle. I currently have 14 full sized eggs and a handful of smaller ones. Needless to say, I’m a bit uncomfortable. My ovaries feel like they are going to BURST from all the eggs, my abdomen is swollen and tender, and sitting upright is splendid. My ovaries have never worked this hard in my life!  

      I still haven’t had any major hormonal outbursts, and I actually feel pretty good considering all the crap my body and soul have been through. I did have a “loud discussion” with my husband yesterday, but I truthfully didn’t feel a surge of emotions like I had before. He was being an ass and I decided it was my place to tell him . . . hmm . . . maybe there were some hormones involved in that discussion, but I think it was mostly me.  Knowing myself like I do, I’m quite surprised that I didn’t become an emotional wreck. It’s funny when we realize how strong we really are in times of hardship. The Lord has truly blessed me with His strength and presence. My family is not the easiest to live with and I am not the most laid back person. Yet, God has given me perspective and patience. Of course there were times when my patience was tested and I failed, but no one was injured, damned to hell, and my back yard is body free, so I count this a success!

      But now is the final test; tomorrow my eggs will be harvested and next Thursday the fertilized embryos will be implanted into my uterus. The egg harvesting is supposedly very painful. They have to sedate me, which is a problem because I have a terrible reaction to narcotics. So, that will be a challenge. The embryo transfer is less painful, but very delicate. The first 3 days are crucial. This will be the hardest part for my family. This is when they will have to step up to the plate. No stress for Mommy, no attitude, no arguments . . . just calm and love. I know they can do it.

     
      I will savor today; the one day in the past 3 weeks with no needles, no doctors, and no one shouting into my girly parts “Hello . . . is anyone home?”

      I will savor today because tomorrow is the beginning of the end.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment